Hey, Common People of New York! Do you experience a F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E every time you think of Sheffield’s greatest export, Pulp? If so, plan a Joyride to Rooftop Film’s August 7 (that’s next Thursday!) screening of the new Florian Habicht documentary, PULP: A Film About Life, Death & Supermarkets. As North Americans may know, this is one of the few screenings of the documentary planned in the country.
And it’s the only one that will include the opportunity for Jarvis to critique your singing skills! Yes, Jarvis Cocker will actually be attending the screening, which will be followed by a Q&A with the Pulp frontman and director Florian Habicht. But, really, what will happen next is too good to be true! Here is all the pertinent information straight from Rooftop Films:
Tweet to @RooftopFilms with the hashtag #singforjarvis and plead your case. Why should you be one of the chosen few who get to perform a Pulp song for Jarvis Cocker and Florian Habicht?
THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
Anyone chosen to perform will receive two free tickets to the show (or two free additional tickets if you’ve already purchased yours), and the winner will be awarded very special prizes. Tweets must be sent by noon on Monday, August 4th. Winners will be chosen the next day.
- You must plan to attend the show! If you can’t be there on August 7th, don’t enter the contest! Jarvis will be very mad at you. Do you really want that on your conscience?
- Creativity is encouraged/mandatory. Tweet something that will make us notice you and think you’re a special and unique snowflake. A funny drawing? A relevant YouTube video? Something weird and wild we’ve never seen or heard before? Impress us.
- No nudity please.
- If we get a million tweets about ‘Common People’, we will be far less likely to pick them. Don’t be so obvious. See above note about creativity.
- Pick your favorite Pulp song. Or your least favorite. Or one you don’t even know. Here are the options: All Time High, Babies, Common People, Disco 2000, Do You Remember The First Time, Help The Aged, Mile End, Monday Morning, Sorted For E’s and Wizz, This is Hardcore.
- If you receive that coveted tweet that says you’ve won, don’t have a heart attack. You need to confirm your win within 24 hours of notification.
- Tweet all you want. We’ll have interns monitoring our feed 24/7 from the locked basement of Rooftop HQ.
- Show info and tickets are available here: http://rooftopfilms.com/2014/schedule/pulp-a-film-about-life-death-and-supermarkets/
So there you have it. A golden ticket to Pulp superstardom. A shot at the big leagues. A fast-track to success. A chance to embarrass yourself in front of a real celebrity and several hundred strangers! We can’t wait to sift through these tweets and see just how badly you want to win. Good luck!
This is a once-in-a-lifetime event! Have another look at the documentary trailer below, and, if you can’t make it next Thursday, check this post for information about watching the film within the comfort of your own home.
Good luck, everybody, and here’s some inspiration for your performance*
*Brian May costume optional